Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Out of the mouth of my babe

Here are a few fun things Biscuit has been saying lately:


Things to do today: On the way to day care a couple of weeks ago, Biscuit said, “I going to day care to run and play and skip and hop and play with my fends and make music.”

I told his teacher what he said, and she paused for a second, smiled and said, “Yep. That about covers our days here.”


Bu-draf: How Biscuit says giraffe.


Favorite food: "What's your favorite something to eat?" Biscuit asked me this evening. My usual answer is pasta, but I thought I'd shake things up a little bit.

"My favorite something to eat is country ham," I said to Biscuit.

Once you pick a favorite, you don't usually get to change it, even if it's an answer you just grabbed out of thin air in the pressure of the moment.

"No, Mom," Biscuit said. "Your favorite something to eat not crunchy ham. You like pasta."

I didn't know whether to be impressed that he remembered my pasta answer (it's been a while since he's asked me about my favorite something to eat) or be tickled by his interpretation of what he thought I said.



Pitching: Jeff took Biscuit to a baseball game last Thursday night. When I take Biscuit out and about, I always cover all my bases. I have all the usual stuff like diapers, wipes and changing pads. But I also have snacks, sippy cups, a change of clothes, sometimes even a book or some cars. Jeff got ready to leave the house that night with nothing.

"Um, what happens if he gets a dirty diaper at the game?" I asked Jeff.

"Oh. I guess I need to take a diaper?" he asked. Now that Biscuit is older, we don't have to carry a diaper bag, but I have several of those bag-type backpacks with strings for handles. So I shoved a few essentials and snacks in there and handed it off to Jeff.

My boys had a good time at the game, and Biscuit couldn't wait to get home and tell me everything he saw. "Mom, we saw baseball mans. And dogs. And peoples."

Jeff said to Biscuit, "Hey boy, how do you pitch to Murphy?
"

Biscuit replied, "Down and away and up and in."

Introducing Biscuit, the second baseball freak in my house.



That's not my spot: When we got to day care today, a little girl was sitting in Biscuit's spot on the circle time rug. The kids don't have assigned spots, but apparently, every kid in the class knows that particular spot is Biscuit's. So when he saw the girl on his spot, he just stood there looking back and forth between me and the little girl. This isn't the first time I've witnessed this, and I thought maybe I should break this little habit, so
I pointed out to him that there's a red spot on the other side of the rug. I told him it was the same spot just on a different side of the rug.

His reponse? "No, Mom. That spot not perfect for me." The little girl moved and gave Biscuit the spot. I just rolled my eyes and left for work.


Everything is Mama and Dad and Baby: The big fire truck is Dad. The medium firetruck is Mama. The little fire truck is Baby. His ride-on horse is Dad. One of his toy horses is Mama. And the little horse is Baby.

You get where this is going? It's actually pretty cool that Biscuit is finding our family in the things around him. But bigger than that, I love seeing his little brain make those kinds of connections. I think they call it applied learning. But whatever it's called, it's a lot of fun to watch it happen.


Introductions: Biscuit just walked up to me as I was typing this post and said, "Good afternoon, Mama. It's nice to meet you." Then he reached his hand out to shake mine. I shook his hand and said, "It's nice to meet you, too."

Then he said, "Well, okay. It was nice to meet you. Bye." And he went back to playing with his cars.

No comments: