Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Our garden

We have a small raised garden in our backyard. This year, we planted beans, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, bell peppers, heirloom tomatoes and roma tomatoes. Everything is coming right along, and we even got our first roma tomato over the past weekend.

I've been trying to include
Biscuit in the whole process. I don't think he gets it yet, but I love the idea of feeding him something that I grew myself.

And as with most boys, the dirt and water needed for a garden just calls to him. I was using the hose to water the garden yesterday evening, and Biscuit ran back to the deck, grabbed the watering can and dragged it over to the garden. "I want to help, Mom," he said.

I put some water in the watering can, and Biscuit turned it up onto one little corner of the garden. He wanted more, so I gave him more water, and he watered the same exact spot. And then he wanted more.

I wasn't putting much water in the can, so he didn't drown any plants, but he put enough water on that one spot that I skipped it entirely with the water hose.

I hope he'll stay interested in the garden. And maybe he'll even eat some of the stuff we harvest.


No comments: