Monday, February 27, 2012

Yeah, that's the ticket!

A post from The Daddy Man:

Picture it. Day care. This afternoon.

I went to pick up Biscuit, but he wasn't in his regular room. I grabbed his jacket out of his cubby, which I later learned was not the way to go, then I visited each room until I found him.

Before Biscuit even saw me, this little boy (let's call him "Eustace") came running up to me.

"Griffin hurt me," Eustace said.

"I'm sorry that happened. Are you okay?" I asked him. Then I noticed a little red scratch under his eye.

"Yeah, I'm okay," he said and ran away.

Biscuit finally saw me and came running. And then he saw his coat in my hand. And then he lost it.

Kimmy and I love that Biscuit is independent, but sometimes that boy will make you want to pull your hair out. He has to do almost everything by himself. And his independent streak always seems to turn up at the most inopportune times. And when you're in a hurry. And when you're tired. And when your patience has come to an end.

I had to wrestle Biscuit into his coat and haul him out of the building. He was crying and whining, but I just held on to him and kept walking.

Another dad was coming in the door as Biscuit and I were leaving. He has twins in Biscuit's class. He had a concerned look on his face until he heard what I was saying to Biscuit. At that point, he and I did the been-there-done-that nod to each other, and Biscuit and I headed out to the car.

I was curious about what Eustace had told me. I wanted to know what really happened. By the time I picked up Biscuit, his regular teachers were gone, and I couldn't ask them if they knew what went down.

"Biscuit, Eustace said you hurt him. Can you tell me what happened?" I asked.

"Um, it's a secret, Dad. I can't tell you," Biscuit said.

That wasn't exactly the answer I was looking for. "Biscuit, you don't keep secrets from Mama, and you don't keep secrets from me. Did you hurt Eustace?"

"I didn't hit him, Dad," Biscuit said. I didn't hurt Eustace."

"If you didn't hit him, how did he get that red scratch under his eye?" I asked Biscuit.

"Eustace hit me and he pushed me," Biscuit said.

"Did you hit Eustace?" I asked him.

"Eustace wanted his Mom to come get him and take him to the doctor," Biscuit said.

Once we were home, Kimmy thought she might give it a try, so she asked him what happened. Here's what Biscuit told her: "Eustace wanted his Mom to come and take him to the doctor. He fell down, and a spider scratched him."

It went from bad to worse.

First it was a secret, then Eustace was the offender, then it was the spider's fault. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I think I'll ask his teachers tomorrow morning, just to be on the safe side.

No comments: