Saturday, February 11, 2012

Random things

A few random things about Biscuit:

Teamwork: Biscuit and I used his blocks to make a fire station today. He drove one of his trucks into the wall, and the whole thing came tumbling down.

"I'm sorry I knocked down the fire station, Mom. I KNOW! Let's work TOGETHER and build it back."

Who am I? Biscuit's imagination is pretty vivid, so there's no telling who he's going to claim to be from one minute to the next. We get all kinds of scenarios and story lines.

Biscuit and I spent today alone together. It was too cold and windy to go outside, so we had to amuse ourselves inside. It seemed like every time Biscuit walked into the room, he would say, "Mom, I'm Capt. Griddles, and you're Mr. Cogill," or "Mom, I'm Firefighter Ronnie Gage, and you're Firefighter Roy Desoto," (Biscuit got those names from the first season DVDs of "Emergency" that he got for Christmas from Grandma and Grandpa). It seemed like we went through about 10 characters each.

My favorite was when he walked in and said, "Mom, I'm the zookeeper, and you're the people." When I asked what exactly it was that the people did, he told me that the people visit the animals at the zoo. He might as well have added, "Well, duh, Mom," at the end.

Words: Biscuit is starting to figure out that letters fit together to make words. He knows the sounds that all the letters make, so it's fun to watch his face when he sounds out words. He gets really excited. His eyes get really big, his eyebrows go up, and he puckers up his mouth.

The other day in the car, we were talking about cats, and I helped Biscuit sound out the letters. Then I helped him spell it, then he repeated it after me. Then we moved on to "dog." We sounded it out, then he spelled it on his own. I was impressed.

This afternoon, I called Biscuit into the kitchen. He has magnetic letters all over the bottom half of the refrigerator. I asked him if he could spell "cat," and he sounded it out and put the letters together. Then I asked him if he could spell "dog." He got all the letters right, but didn't quite get the order. He spelled it "dgo." 

Biscuit has a placemat on the kitchen table with his name on it. He's been able to say what letter his name starts with for a while, but I had no idea he had memorized all the letters in his name. He grabbed a "G" and an "R" from the fridge, then he said, "The next letter is an "I" then another "I." I told him that he had two of the same letters in a row in his name, but it wasn't "I." So we kept sounding it out, and figured it out and grabbed a couple of "F's."

After we got all the letters put together, I said, "What do all those letters spell?"

"Um, that spells 'Griffinator,'" Biscuit said. His old teacher gave him that nickname, and all the kids at day care still call him that.

I was really proud of Biscuit's word play today. I hope he learns to love words as much as Jeff and I do.

No comments: