Thursday, February 2, 2012

Ding, dong, the in-laws are gone

My in-laws headed home this morning, and we're kinda sad about it.

They came down the week before Christmas and split time between us and Jeff's brother and his family. It seems like after that long of a visit, we'd be ready for them to go, and they would be looking for any chance to get away from us and go home. 

But actually, I was hard going to work this morning knowing they wouldn't be here when we got home.

As I was leaving this morning, my father-in-law joked with me and said, "Send us a video of your dance." A few years ago, they said they were sure that I sang a song and did a dance when they finally left. So I waited until they left and handed the video camera to Jeff. Remember the "Ding dong, the witch is dead" song? Well, I changed the words to "Ding dong, the in-laws are gone."

(And before you get all judgmental, they loved the video. They knew I was joking.)

When Jeff took Biscuit to daycare this morning, his parents were still at our house. Jeff strapped Biscuit into his car seat and backed the car out of the driveway. The in-laws were standing in the driveway waving at Biscuit. He waved at them and yelled "goodbye." They waved back at him then started walking back toward the house. The didn't know that Biscuit was still waving and hollering.

"Dad, they can't hear me, can they?" Biscuit asked.

"No, but they saw you wave, boy. You did a good job," Jeff said.

When we got home this evening, Biscuit walked in, looked around and asked, "Hey, where's Grandma and Grandpa?"
"They went home, remember?" Jeff and I both said.

"Oh, yeah," Biscuit said.

"Hopefully, we'll see them again soon," Jeff said.

No comments: