Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has been saying lately:


Who are we? I've written before about how Biscuit changes our names and characters several times a day. We here things like, "Mom, I'm firefighter Ronnie Gage, and you're Nurse McCall," or "Mom, you run the store, and I need to buy some stuff."

But I think I like his recent roles for us best of all. 

"Mom, we're not anybody right now. We're just family."


Sing it: I was reading out loud to Jeff from the alumni update section of his college newsletter, and as is common where he went to school, there were a lot of Italian and Polish last names. I tried and tried to pronounce one woman's name, but I fear I was butchering it.

Finally, I just spelled it out loud to Jeff.

"C-i-a-r-a-o-l-o," I spelled out.

"No, Mom," Biscuit said. "It's C-I-N-G-O!"


Riveting TV: This didn't come directly from Biscuit, but I'm going to count it because it was about him.

Jeff had to do an unexpected interview and story last night. When he was done, he called the sports department to tell them the story was ready.

The editor he talked to asked him if he was watching the Daytona 500. Jeff's answer showed exactly how his life has changed over the past three years.

"Nope. I'm not watching the race," Jeff said. "Biscuit and I are watching to see what happens next on Umizoomi."

And being a dad himself, the editor said, "Don't worry. It won't be long before he gets into Phineas and Ferb,'' and that's much better for the adults."


Breaking news: Biscuit just walked into the living room as I was writing this.

"Mom, you're the prince, and Dad is the witch, and I'm the firefighter who is going to save you," Biscuit said. Then he handed me a ball and said, "This is your magic bouncing ball."

Then he took the ball away from me, bounced it across the living room floor and yelled, "OH, NO! YOUR MAGIC BOUNCING BALL JUST BOUNCED AWAY!"

"I'm going to talk to the witch now," Biscuit said as he headed out of the living room. "I'll be careful so the witch won't eat me. I'll have to go through the gate, jump on the crocodiles to cross the crocodile lake. Then I will rescue you. Okay, Mom? Is that a good plan?"

Maybe Biscuit is practicing for the best-selling series of books he'll write later.

No comments: