Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Two down and hopefully none to go

Biscuit has 5th Disease. I am completely confused because we thought he had 5th Disease the week before I got it. Apparently, that was not the case.

When I got Biscuit out of the tub last night, I noticed a rash on his shoulder and neck. I figured something had irritated his skin, so I put hydrocortisone on it. 

This morning, when I got Biscuit out of bed, I noticed that the rash had spread to one side of his face. He's had a scratchy throat for a couple of days, but he hasn't had a fever, and he hasn't acted like he felt sick.

I wanted some advice, so I called the nurse-on-call at Biscuit's pediatrician's office, still having no thought that it could be 5th Disease. I explained the symptoms, and she was concerned that he might have strep throat. I've heard of people having rashes when they had strep throat, so when she said we should make an appointment, we did. The office was completely booked up today, so the first appointment we could get was at 6 p.m.

I took Biscuit to day care and explained what was going on. Their main concern was whether he had a fever or not. When I told them he didn't, they said it was fine to leave him.

But then they called this afternoon to tell me that the rash had spread to the other side of his face and that I needed to come pick him up. I can't blame them for calling. Without knowing what was wrong with him, there was no way to tell if he was contagious or not.

Jeff and I worked it out so that I would pick up Biscuit and take him home while Jeff would finish out his work day. Then Jeff would meet Biscuit and me at the doctor's office for the appointment. Then Jeff would take Biscuit home, and I would go back to work to finish up what I had to leave this afternoon.

It probably sounds complicated, but I'm just really thankful that our jobs allow enough flexibility to work around these situations.

As Biscuit and I were getting ready to leave the house, I yelled for him to grab his shoes and bring them to the living room. He was wearing khaki shorts and a red T-shirt. Want to know which shoes he came back with? His tan and camouflage cowboy boots. 

I considered making him change into sandals or tennis shoes, but he was clearly pleased with his shoe selection. And then, just to complete the look, he grabbed his red cowboy hat on the way out the door.

His outfit, plus the fact that when the nurse called him, he galloped all the way back to the examination room, made him a big hit at the doctor's office.

On the way to the office, Biscuit saw a big white airplane with a red tail. (We live near the airport.)

"Mom, when we get to the doctor's office, do you think the doctor would like to know that I saw a big ol' airplane that was white on the front and red on the back?" Biscuit asked.

"I bet the doctor would like to know that," I said. "You be sure to tell her when we get there." And of course I was thinking he wouldn't remember to tell her.

But he did, and she played along.

"Of COURSE I'm excited to hear that you saw a plane like that," she said. "That's really cool."

Poor Biscuit's face looks like he's been slapped around a bit. It's all red and splotchy on both sides. But since 5th Disease is a virus, there's nothing we can do for him.

He's acting fine and says he doesn't hurt anywhere, so we just have to wait for it to move out of his little body. Now we're just praying that Jeff doesn't get it.

No comments: