Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Memory upgrade

Biscuit's memory is getting longer. He's remembering more song lyrics and rhymes and things he's heard in movies and on TV shows. He's also remembering things we did for a long time after we did them.

We went to my parents' house in April for my nephew's birthday weekend. We went to Mama's church for Easter, and at the end of the road my parents live on, a childhood friend of mine has a bunch of horses in a pasture. Biscuit, as we all know, is crazy about horses, so when he saw how many there were, he went a little crazy.

In June, we went back to my parents' house for my niece's birthday. That Sunday morning, my parents decided to take Biscuit to church with them. As they were pulling out of the driveway, Biscuit asked, "Grandmama, will we see those lots of horses on the way to your church?" 

Two whole months later, and he remembered that he would see horses on the way to Mama's church.

When Biscuit and I are in the car together, he likes for us to talk and tell stories. But when he rides in Jeff's car, he wants music. So Jeff obliges.

Unfortunately, Jeff sometimes doesn't think about the lyrics of the songs they listen to.

Biscuit rode home with Jeff yesterday afternoon. Jeff brought him in the house, then turned to leave to go to a soccer game. I still wasn't feeling great, but Biscuit didn't really understand.


"Mom, do you want to play firefighters with me?" Biscuit asked.

"Not right now, baby," I said. "I'm still not feeling too good."

"Mom, clean your act up and don't be a slob," Biscuit said.

"Excuse me?!?" I asked with scrunched-up eyebrows.

"I'm singing 'The Haircut Song' to you, Mom," Biscuit said. "Get a haircut and get a real job. Clean your act up, and don't be a slob." 

He picked up that little tidbit from a song he heard on one of Jeff's CDs. Biscuit had no idea that it sounded like he was sassing me, but I told Jeff he needed to be more careful.

Biscuit's memory isn't yet so long that his father can't twist the truth and he doesn't know the difference, though. Jeff finished off a box of mini chocolate chip cookies just as Biscuit walked into the living room.

"Awww, Dad," he whined. "Are all the cookies gone? Did you eat all the cookies?"

"Yeah," Jeff said. "But you had some, too, didn't you? Weren't they good?"

"OH, YEAH!" Biscuit shouted. "I ate them, too. We shared, Dad. We ate up all the cookies!"

Biscuit didn't have a single one of those cookies!

So I guess the lesson is that his memory is getting better, but his sense of who's feeding him a line of bull isn't quite there yet.

We have to be very careful these days about what we say to our boy because I have a feeling that most of it will come back to us. 

Is it too early to make him remember his multiplication tables?!?

No comments: