Saturday, July 21, 2012

Pool party

My niece came to our house for the weekend. She lives about 2 1/2 hours away from us, so we met her parents halfway between our house and theirs to pick her up Friday morning.

It's funny, but my niece and Biscuit look more like each other than my niece and her brother and sister. She has dark blonde hair and blue eyes just like Biscuit.

So far, my niece and I have been to the movies. We all went out for dinner then frozen yogurt last night. We're planning to go to a ballgame tonight. Then we'll make some kind of plan for getting her home Sunday.

But this morning, I took my niece and Biscuit to a really nice pool near our house.

They have a regular pool with a slide and a diving board. They have a sprayground with a bunch of water sprayers and a big drain in the middle. There's no standing water, so anybody can go in there. Then there's a zero-entry kiddie pool. The front half has some water sprayers, then there's a rope separating the front from the deeper back part. It's 3 1/2 feet deep.

All worries that my boy inherited my fear of water were quickly erased this morning. He walked straight into the pool, all the way to the rope, then asked my niece if she would lift him over the rope so he could go deeper.

She caught him at the bottom of the slide a few times. Then she pulled him around the pool as he "swam." He flung his arms and kicked his feet, and my niece was really surprised at how comfortable he seemed.

I called Jeff and told him we need to get the boy some swimming lesson as soon as possible. 

Jeff isn't afraid of the water, but when he was a kid, he had a choice of swimming lessons or playing baseball. Anybody who knows Jeff knows that decision was a no-brainer. So although he can swim some, he said he'd rather have someone teach Biscuit how to do it right. And I agree.

But from what I saw this morning, it shouldn't take much at all to get him swimming like a fish.

Here are a few pictures from the morning:






No comments: