Thursday, July 19, 2012

Out of the mouth of my babe

As quickly as it came ... it went away.

Okay, that's not entirely true, but my 5th Disease symptoms are much improved. I have full use of my hands again (I even opened my own drink bottle at work today), but I still have some weakness ... general all over body weakness, as well as weakness in my hands.

The good news is that once you have 5th Disease, you can't get it again. Whew!

Anyway, here are a few things Biscuit has been saying lately:


A magical world: Biscuit and I were walking through a store this evening, looking for one very specific thing. I finally found a sales associate to ask, and of course, the store didn't have what I wanted.

I figured I'd take Biscuit on a cruise through the toy department, but I didn't say that out loud. 

Biscuit was just chattering away (he was in a talkative mood this evening), as I guided us down the main aisle then straight down the aisle with the cars and trucks.

Still chattering away, Biscuit stopped dead in his tracks. His mouth dropped open as his head started swiveling.

"Mom, what IS this place?" Biscuit asked. "Where ARE we, Mom?"

"We're in the toy department," I said.

It was the funniest thing. It was like he had never seen toys before.


Relationships: Jeff had to work late this evening, so Biscuit and I went out for dinner. We were having a great time rolling crayons back and forth across the table, when an older couple walked in and sat down at a table diagonal from ours. They both sat on the same side of their table. Biscuit was facing them, but they were behind my back.

That didn't matter, though, because Biscuit described the couple to me as they waited for their food.

"Mom, there's a Mom and Dad sitting at that table," Biscuit said. "Are they married?"

"I don't know if they're married," I said to Biscuit.

"Are you and me married, Mom?" Biscuit asked.

"No," I said. "But Dad and I are married."

"But why can't I be married, too, Mom?" Biscuit asked, looking pretty sad.

"Being married is for grownups," I said.

"If I pretend to be a grownup, can you and me be married then?" Biscuit asked.

"Sure," I said. Then Biscuit was all smiles again.

"Mom, that Mom has red fingernails," Biscuit said. "Red is our favorite color, right?"

"Right," I said.

"And she's wearing a wrist watch," Biscuit said.

"Eat your dinner and quit staring at people," I said.

"I'm just looking at her, Mom," Biscuit said.

"That's what staring is," I explained. "And some people don't like it when you look at them for a long time."

"Oh," said Biscuit and went back to eating his dinner.

Less than 5 minutes later ... "Mom, that Dad is wearing a neck-a-lace," Biscuit said.

When Biscuit was finally done with dinner, we stood up to leave. And I couldn't help but turn to look at the couple Biscuit had been describing to me.

"He's so cute," the woman said.

"I'm sorry, but I had to turn around to look at y'all," I said. "My son has discovered people-watching, and he has told me all about y'all." I looked at the woman and said, "He told me that you have red fingernails. Red is our favorite color."

The woman laughed. "He's just observant, isn't he?" she said.
 
I laughed and said, "He is fascinated with relationships right now, and he kept asking me if y'all are a Mom and Dad and if you're married." The woman laughed, and I grabbed Biscuit's hand to leave. I sorta wanted to walk away before they felt like they needed to address the "mom and dad" or "married" questions.

Just as we turned to leave, the man said to Biscuit, "By the way, we are a Mom and Dad, and we are married. We've been married for 48 years."

I'm not sure how Biscuit sensed that what the man said was a big deal, but he looked at the man and said, "Wow."


Who's your Daddy? Jeff called on his way home from work this evening, and Biscuit walked into the room as we were talking.

"Excuse me, Mom. Who are you talking to?" he asked.

"I'm talking to Dad," I said. "Would you like to talk to him?"

"Is it OUR Dad?" Biscuit asked, making sure it was actually Jeff.

"Yes, baby," I said. "It's OUR Dad."

No comments: