Monday, July 23, 2012

Old is new again

A post from The Daddy Man:

I was researching a story on the Internet recently. I needed to find an obscure autograph-model glove for a detail in the story. And up popped 10 pages of vintage baseball gloves on eBay.

Just out of curiosity, I scrolled through the 10 pages to see which players had autograph-model gloves. That's when I came across a 1970s Wilson youth model, all-leather baseball glove with George Brett's name on it. 

George Brett was one of my favorite players to watch when I was growing up (even though he was probably the King of all Yankee Killers, and I'm a Yankees fan). I liked watching him play because he did everything well. And he had a lot of hustle.

That glove brought back some good memories for me because I had high school teammates who had the adult-size model of that same glove. And I really liked that it was all leather. Those are harder to find these days.

So when I noticed that the Buy It Now price was only $5 and some change, I couldn't resist.

Apparently, it was previously owned by a kid named Cody. I know this because the faded letters of Cody's name are written in Sharpie marker across the fingers in the glove.

No matter, though. It will serve its purpose. My boy now has a genu-wine antique baseball glove to play with. Now if he will just decide whether he wants to catch right-handed or left-handed.



No comments: