Sunday, January 13, 2013

Out of the mouth of my babe -- beach edition

We spent Thursday through Sunday at the beach with Jeff's side of the family. We rented a house that we couldn't have afforded in the summer, and there was plenty of room for all nine of us. (Pictures and more details to come.)

Here are a few things Biscuit said while we were there.


Multitasking: One night during our trip, Biscuit was getting a little antsy. Everyone seemed to be doing something not kid-friendly -- playing cards, watching TV, playing video games. So I set up Biscuit's DVD player and put a movie in for him.

He seemed quite content, until whoever had the remote flipped to a show he likes on PBS.

"Can I watch that?" Biscuit asked.

"You're watching a movie," I said. "Do you want to watch your movie or the TV show?"

"I can watch both," Biscuit explained. "I have two eyes."

Good logic, bad plan. I turned off his DVD player, and he watched the show on TV.


Direct and to the point: Grandma was having a conversation with Biscuit one night about what he was going to do the next day. His big plan was to dig in the sand.

"What are you going to do if they roll up the sand?" Grandma asked.

"I guess I'll fall in the ocean," Biscuit answered.

That pretty much sums it up.


Sweet dreams: Biscuit has been talking in his sleep ... well, since he could talk. That's actually how Jeff and I decided to quit using a baby monitor. 

When Biscuit was 2, I said to Jeff, "Very few nights go by when that child doesn't wake me up just chat- chat- chatting while he's sound asleep!"

I tend to forget about it until we go somewhere and Biscuit sleeps in the same room as Jeff and me.

I was sound asleep one night during our trip, and from the foot of the bed, I hear this little voice say, "Mommy! When I closed my eyes, I couldn't see the pictures in that book. (pause) You're always supposed to read me a book. (pause) Every. Single. Night. (pause) That's when you read me books, Mom ... at night. (pause) Every. Night. (pause) Mom, do you promise to read me a book every night?"

I didn't know if he could hear me or not, so I just answered him. "Yes," I said. "I will read you a book every single night." I kept reassuring him, then he finally went back to sleep.

I asked him this morning and again this afternoon if he remembered talking to me, and he didn't. And I might be in trouble because Jeff read him a bedtime story tonight. Not me!



A sign of home: Our drive home from the beach was about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Biscuit always does really well in the car. We play games and tell stories and sing songs. Every once in a while he'll ask if he can watch a movie, but more often than not, he just likes to check out the scenery.

About 45 minutes from home, Biscuit said, "Mom, is it going to take FOREVER to get home?"

"No," I said. "It's going to take about 45 minutes." 

Biscuit doesn't really have a concept of time, so that didn't mean too much to him.

About 10 minutes down the road, Biscuit said, "MOM! We're almost there! We're almost home!"

"Why do you think that?" I asked him.

He answered me in a sing-songy voice, "Because there's McDonald's!"

There is a McDonald's 1 mile from our house at an intersection we drive through every day, twice a day, so when he saw the golden arches, he thought we were a mile from home.

Poor thing. I felt so bad when I had to explain that there are 50,000 other McDonald's restaurants around.

No comments: