Thursday, January 31, 2013

A bad day

"God, I always said I would never bother you about baseball. Lord knows you have bigger things to worry about. But if you could make this pain in my shoulder stop for ten minutes, I would really appreciate it."

That's a quote from a baseball movie I like to watch. And I thought about it today when I was having a very, very frustrating time trying to get my work done.

My quote would've been more like, "God, I always said I would never bother you about page designing and copy editing. Lord knows you have bigger things to worry about. But if you could make my computer not crash until I get the rest of my pages out, I would really appreciate it."

As you can guess, today was rough. It was so rough that I had to step away from my desk on three separate occasions for fear I would just have a breakdown crying fit.

Then I started thinking about the quote above.

Then I remembered a necklace my Mama gave me. It's a pewter sand dollar on a black string. On the back of the sand dollar, it says, "Be still and know that I am God." And I decided to use that as my mantra. I needed to calm down.

Our office is in a sort of chaos right now. We're having computer problems. The jobs in the newsroom are being shifted and rearranged. The furniture in the newsroom is being shifted and rearranged. And today, a big media company bought our paper.

I realize that several months down the line, all this stuff will be sorted out, and everyone will have his or her place, but right now, it just seems like everything is disorganized and out of sorts.

And I don't deal well with out of sorts.

Jeff brought me a bottle of water, and I went into my top drawer to get a drink mix packet. When I reached into the drawer, I accidentally knocked the lid off a little stone box Jeff gave me years ago.

Want to know what was inside? A white rock with the word "calm" printed on it.

That was about as clear an answered prayer as I've ever seen.

"Calm down and get it done."

And I did. My pages were late, but they're done.

And then I met Jeff, Biscuit and my in-laws at the pancake rest-au-rant. And what could be better than family dinner AND pancakes?!?

So as Scarlet would say, "Tomorrow is another day." And let's hope it will be better than today.

No comments: