Thursday, January 24, 2013

Biscuit's hands

I went up to tuck Biscuit in last night, and he said I could choose his bedtime book.

I grabbed one off the shelf that we haven't read in a while, and as I turned the pages, the butterfly below fell out.


Biscuit's tiny little hands make this butterfly's body and wings. And these are not current hands. These are 1-year-old hands. And seeing them last night, I teared up a little. His hands are so much more grown up now.

Biscuit is learning how to write. He's struggled with it so far because he still tries to use both hands. He's pretty good with both, but he's just a little better with his right. So as far as handwriting goes, we're going to encourage him to use his right hand.

I've heard horror stories from should've-been left-handed adults who say that their parents and teachers forced them to be right-handed. As a left-handed person, I can't imagine that happening.

Although, one day when I was in the first grade, we were going to cut out shapes. Mrs. Carnes said, "Okay, raise your hand if you're left-handed."

My hand shot up. Then I started looking around the room. I was one of two people with hands raised.

I felt a little self-conscious, so I started lowering my hand.

"Raise your hand high and keep it up," Mrs. Carnes said. "I need to know who needs special scissors."

If I weren't feeling self-conscious enough, that just pushed it right over the edge. And if I can help it, I don't want Biscuit to have to deal with any of those kinds of feelings.

I don't care which hand Biscuit throws with. Or cuts with. Or eats with. But he has to pick a hand for writing. At least while he's just learning.

So far, Biscuit has been tracing dotted letters. And as long as it holds his attention, he's getting better. But when he's not in the mood to do it, you can definitely tell. He scribbles until his teacher says he can go play.

But yesterday, Biscuit made his first letters without any lines to trace. He made freehand Gs.

Check 'em out:





No comments: