Wednesday, January 2, 2013

My husband

My husband drives me crazy. 

He is one of the slowest creatures God has ever created. He is almost always in my way as I'm flitting about our house (usually in the kitchen). And he does things that make me nuts, then says in a most innocent voice, "I didn't know."

But ... the good things about him greatly outweigh the crazy-driving parts.

Since mid-December, I've worked a lot of late hours. And that has required Jeff to take up my slack at home. And he's done it without complaint.

I believe that when both parents work, both parents should do the kid stuff. But for the past month, Jeff has done his half and my half, too. 

Jeff usually gets Biscuit ready in the morning, so since I've been at work in the evening, I offered to take over the morning duties. Jeff said no. He said I needed to take my time in the morning to get ready for whatever I'd be facing at work. Well, if you're going to twist my arm like that, I guess I'll give in.

We usually eat dinner at 7 p.m., and I've been leaving work between 7 and 7:30. So Jeff has been taking care of getting dinner for himself and Biscuit. Jeff only has a couple of recipes in his kitchen repertoire, but he's resourceful. And I haven't had to worry about that at all.

And on more than a few nights, when I call him to tell him I'm on my way home, I tells me to be careful, then we hang up so he can have some dinner ready for me when I get home.

Believe me when I say that I understand how lucky I am. Not all husbands would handle this situation the way Jeff has.

His usual response is, "Do what you need to do. The boy and I will be waiting on you when you get home."

Last Friday, when I found out that my best friend's Dad had died, I was pretty upset. I walked across the hall from the newsroom into a private office to call my friend. After I talked to her, I wanted Jeff.

I called him to come into the little office with me. When he got there, he hugged me and talked to me until I calmed down. And then, before I ever mentioned the funeral, Jeff said, "Can your Mama keep Biscuit?"

"When?" I asked.

"While we're at the funeral," Jeff said.

Jeff had only met my friend's Dad twice, but even so, I didn't have to ask him to go to the funeral. He knew it was important to me, so it was automatically important to him.

I think I sometimes take my husband for granted, but times like this past month remind me to work harder and not let that happen anymore.

No comments: