Monday, December 2, 2013

Dear Santa ...

We've made a tradition of taking Biscuit to see Santa Claus on Thanksgiving weekend. My parents are usually in town, and they like to come along.

Remember a few weeks ago when this happened?



Well, it happened again!

Mama and I went shopping for a couple of hours Friday morning and planned to meet Daddy, Jeff and Biscuit to see Santa. Mama and I got there, and I called Jeff to see where they were. Jeff was walking toward where we were, but he had, shall we say, misplaced Daddy and Biscuit.

I fussed at him and told him to find Daddy and Griffin and get to Santa's place pronto!

Jeff backtracked and found daddy and Biscuit. I looked up and saw the three of them walking toward Mama and me. As Biscuit came into better focus, I could see that his upper lip was shining bright red. The injury above had finally faded to a very pale pink, so I knew right away that it was a fresh injury.



Biscuit had been playing with Daddy, and tripped over his own feet and splayed out on the sidewalk. I would really love for someone to explain how in the world Biscuit can scuff up that spot between his lip and nose without messing up his nose. I didn't see either fall, so I just can't imagine his falling position.

We went back to Mama's car, and luckily, she had a bottle of water and some paper towels. We cleaned Biscuit up as best we could and asked him if he still wanted to see Santa.

Poor Biscuit thought that Santa would be mad at him.

While Jeff dabbed at Biscuit's injury, I went in and chatted with Santa.

"Santa," I said, touching him on his arm. "My son is coming in to see you, and he just fell down on the sidewalk. He hurt his face, and for some reason, he thinks you're going to be mad at him." 

"Well of COURSE I won't be mad at him," Santa said. "Is he okay?"

"Yes, sir," I said. "He's just a little shaken." 

Biscuit and the rest of the crew came in, and Santa couldn't have been sweeter to Biscuit. He asked Biscuit if he was okay, then asked him what he wanted for Christmas.

"Um, a Wolverine toy," Biscuit said.

"What else?" Santa asked.

"Um, books," Biscuit said.

"Books are good," Santa said. "What else? Do you like cars?" 

"Yes, sir," Biscuit said.

"Well, I tell you what," Santa said. "There's still a good while until Christmas, so if you think of anything else you'd like, you just send me a letter, okay?"

"Okay," Biscuit said.

We got the photos taken care of, then headed to the pancake restaurant. That always makes Biscuit feel better.

I could very easily use a photo program to clean up the injury on Biscuit's face, but first of all, my Mama scolded me and told me I better not. And the more I thought about it, the more I thought that the photo does capture exactly what the day was like.

Here's Biscuit and Santa:


No comments: