Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Talking topics

We just got home from my parents' house (2 1/2 hours away), after an emotionally exhausting couple of days. And when I say just got back, I mean about 10 minutes ago.

We had to go for a funeral, and because Biscuit has been asking lots of questions about death and dying recently, I asked Mama if she thought one of her friends would babysit for us.

I'm not trying to avoid talking to him about it exactly, it's more that he's been worried about people he loves dying. And quite frankly, I'm just too out of sorts right now to give him an explanation that I feel would be satisfactory.

Anyway, I was preparing Biscuit for his time with Mama's friend. She was going to keep him in one of the church's Sunday school rooms, which is what prompted his reply to me.

"Listen," I said. "Don't talk her ears off about superheroes, okay? She probably doesn't know anything about superheroes."

Then Biscuit said, "Oh, so she only knows about Jesus stuff, Mom?"

"No, baby," I said. "She knows about all kinds of things, so just talk to her about several different topics, not just the one."

"Oh, I get it, Mom," Biscuit said. We'll do just fine."

And according to Mama's friend, they did do just fine.

No comments: