Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The meaning of Thanksgiving

A post from The Daddy Man:

I got to day care today, and Biscuit had a construction paper hat on that he said was a horse. I think they were supposed to make the traditional pilgrim or American Indian headgear, but leave it to Biscuit to go with his favorite animal.

I was gathered his things, including the Thanksgiving books we had sent for his teacher to read, and I told him to tell everyone Happy Thanksgiving. 

Once we got in the car, I asked if they had read the books we sent, and Biscuit said no, he was waiting until Thanksgiving Day to read them.

I told him that he wouldn't go to day care on Thanksgiving, but we could still read the books at home.

"That's okay," Biscuit said. "I just hope I get a Wolverine toy for Thanksgiving."

"What do you mean?" I asked him.

He repeated himself, "I hope I get a Wolverine toy for Thanksgiving."

"Boy, you don't get presents for Thanksgiving," I explained to him. "It's a day that you give thanks for things that are important to you in your life. But there's no Thanksgiving gifts."

He was quiet for a few seconds, then he started to cry.

"It's not like your birthday or Christmas where you get presents," I told him. "You're supposed to be thankful for things you already have."

"Oh, okay," he said. "But for my next birthday ..."

I think we'll be talking more about being thankful.

No comments: