Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Stories from Grandmama's house

I've enjoyed hearing the stories from Grandmama's house. It sounds like Biscuit is having a good time, and Grandmama and Papa are, too.

I think Biscuit might be missing me a little bit, though.

He walked into Daddy's music room and got a framed picture of me at the beach in my wedding dress. Then he brought it into the living room and showed it to Mama.

"This is my Mom," Biscuit said.

"Yeah, it is," Mama said.

"It's beautiful," Biscuit said. "It's just beautiful."

Mama gets a kick out of the things he says, and it makes me wish she could spend more time him. He's just such a funny little man.

On Tuesdays, Mama and some other ladies from her church cook a huge meal to deliver to the shut-ins in the community. My parents live in a very rural area (20 minutes from the nearest grocery store), so some of the older people are isolated and don't get much company. The ladies make all this food, then they box it up. The cooks and some of their husbands deliver the food and try to spend a few minutes visiting with the shut-ins.

So Mama told Biscuit that she was going to go early to cook, then Papa would bring him in time for deliveries. Mama had told him that they couldn't talk long at each house because they had to get all the food delivered in time.

But when he got to Ms. Doris' house, he couldn't keep quiet any longer.

Ms. Doris is a sweet woman who was old when I was a kid ... or so it seemed.

When I was pianist at the church, Ms. Doris was one of a small handful of people who would come up to me each and every Sunday and tell me that either I did a good job or that they appreciated what I was doing for the church. They had no idea how much that meant to me, and by the time I realized I should tell them, all but Ms. Doris were gone.

Anyway, Biscuit helped carry the food to her door, then he had a chat with Ms. Doris.

"Do you have any brothers or sisters?" Ms. Doris asked Biscuit.

"No ma'am," Biscuit said.

"Would you like to have a brother or sister?" Ms. Doris asked.

"No ma'am," Biscuit said. Then after a brief pause, he said, "But I would like to have a dog."

And before anybody gets any big ideas, as soon as Biscuit is old enough to scoop poop from our fenced-in backyard, we'll consider getting a dog.

Biscuit also spent time with his cousins again this afternoon.

My nephew will be turning 10 in a couple of weeks, and he's tall for his age. He's also used to wrestling and playing with his 11-year-old (soon to be 12) sister. So after my nephew left Mama's house Sunday, Mama said to Daddy, "Sometimes he forgets that Griffin is smaller, and he plays too rough with him."

And Biscuit heard Mama say it. 

When they got to my brother's house today, my nephew ran out to meet them. As soon as he opened Biscuit's door, Biscuit said, "You have to remember that I'm smaller than you, and you can't play so rough."

Mama said my nephew looked a little confused until she explained that Biscuit had overheard her telling Daddy about it. She told him not to worry about it because Biscuit was just repeating what he had heard.

"Yeah, sometimes it seems like I'm wrestling my sister instead of my little cousin," my nephew said. "I'll try to be more careful."

He's a sweet boy who loves his cousin, and that's why I want Biscuit to enjoy this time with our family.

No comments: