Sunday, March 9, 2014

Bad mom award

We had more ice and snow Thursday evening, and it's taken what seems like forever for it to go away.

I think the biggest problem is that it sleeted and snowed from 4 p.m. Thursday to about that same time Friday, but then it was 50-plus degrees yesterday and 60 degrees today. It's such a tease. You're all shut in for the bad weather, then it all starts to melt away, but the yard is such a swamp, you can't actually go out and enjoy the warmer temperatures.

Jeff has been covering high school basketball playoffs and a college basketball tournament since Wednesday, so Biscuit and I haven't seen very much of him.

Jeff had to slide his way to the coliseum for games Friday morning, after all the local authorities and the National Weather Service said don't leave the house unless you absolutely have to. I guess they don't know how crazy people are about basketball around here.

Biscuit's day care was closed Friday morning, so I decided to let him sleep in. I got bundled up and went out to help Jeff clear the 2 inches of ice off his car. And did I mention that it was still sleeting and snowing? It took longer than we thought it would. It was hard work, and I was sweating under my layers of clothes.

Jeff spun his way out of the driveway and into the cul-de-sac. Luckily, it's a slight downgrade, so once he got going, gravity helped him out. A few other cars had been in and out of the neighborhood, so there were some shallow tracks. He made his way out of the neighborhood, and I turned around to head inside.

As I slowly made my way up the ice-covered front steps, I heard a weird noise. And as I opened the front door, I realized it was Biscuit.

He was SCREAMING my name and crying harder than I've ever seen him cry. He woke up, came downstairs, looked around for Jeff and me and realized he was alone. All alone!

That poor baby thought Jeff and I left him home by himself. But was he hollering for Jeff? No, it was "Mooooooooom! Please come back! Mooooommmmyyyyy!" 

I cannot put into words how awful the sound of his wailing was. And what was worse, I was covered in sleet and snow and had on about four layers of clothes and couldn't scoop him up and hug him.

I just kept saying over and over, "It's okay, I'm here. I would never leave you by yourself. You know that, right?"

Biscuit had been crying so hard that he was gasping between breaths.

"I ... know ... Mom ... but ... I ... couldn't ... find ... you," Biscuit said.

His eyes were red and puffy until he took a nap that afternoon. Poor boy.

And of course, for the rest of that day, I felt like the front-runner for the Worst Mom Award.

Biscuit and I both survived and spent the day playing and watching TV.

Here are a few icy pictures:








No comments: