Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Out of the mouth of my babe

It's been hard to get back into a routine with Biscuit. His sleep, meals and everything was different at his grandparents' house, and now, it's taken us several days to get back to normal. But odd schedule or not, he's still been saying fun things.

Here are a few things he's said recently:

Creature of habit: Biscuit was excited about going to his piano lesson Monday evening because he missed one while he was at Mama's.

His teacher's house is really nice, including almost-white carpet in the living room, which we have to walk through to get to the music room. So at Biscuit's first lesson, he asked if we'd mind taking off our shoes. And of course, we didn't mind at all.

When we got there Monday evening, we walked into the foyer and started taking off our shoes. 

Biscuit said, "Um, excuse me, whose shoes are these?"

Pointing at the different shoes, the teacher said, "Those are my son's, and those are my daughters."

"Well, um, but your son's shoes are in my spot," Biscuit said, in this little innocent voice.

"Griffin!" I said. "Just put your shoes on the other side."

"No, no," the teacher said. "I LIKE that he has a spot."

The teacher moved his son's shoes so Biscuit could put his shoes in "his spot."

I didn't know whether to scold him for being so picky or admire his effort to ask for what he wanted.


In the jungle, the mighty jungle: Biscuit and I were talking about where different animals live.

"Mom, if we went to Africa, we would see lions, giraffes and zebras, right?"

"Right," I said. "We might see rhinos and hippos, too."

"And tigers?" Biscuit asked.

"No," I said, "tigers live in Asia."

"Asia? Is that near Georgia?" Biscuit asked.

"No, baby," I said, "Asia is a long, long way from Georgia. Next time I'm at the computer, we'll look it up on a map."

Later that evening, we had a storm with really rough winds, and I told Biscuit that we might lose power.

He didn't understand what that meant, so I told him the lights would go off.

"Even the lamps?" Biscuit asked.

"Yes," I said, "the lamps, the heater, the clock - anything that is run by electricity."

I helped him find his flashlight, and I got out the camping lantern.

Biscuit and I were in my bathroom getting him ready for bed when the gate on our fence slammed open. It's right outside the bathroom window and scared the daylights out of Biscuit and me. We both jumped.

"What was that?" Biscuit asked, looking really worried. "Was it a lion?"

"No, no, no," I said, "that was absolutely not a lion. The closest lion to here is a 45-minute drive away at the zoo. And I promise you if that lion got out, we would know about it in plenty of time before he walked all the way to our house to open the gate."


"That's good, Mom," Biscuit said, without a single question about what I said.

1 comment:

Janet Brindle Reddick said...

There is, however a Tiger, much closer.
Maybe don't mention that to him. ;)