Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thank-you-for

"Mom, I want to be a firefighter for Thank-you-for," Biscuit said to me one morning this week."

"What is 'Thank-you-for,'" I asked him.

"Thank-you-for is a howiday when you say thank you for, um, things," Biscuit said.

"Do you mean Thanksgiving?" I asked him.

"Um, yes. Thanksgiving. I want to be a firefighter for Thanksgiving."

I tried to explain to him that you don't dress up for every holiday, only Halloween. He doesn't believe me.

I have to work the Friday after Thanksgiving, so my parents come here for the holiday. They get here Thursday morning, then Mama and I cook, and we eat about 2 or so. Mama and I usually hit a couple of sales Thursday evening. Friday morning, I go to work. I finish up in time to meet everybody for lunch. Then we take Biscuit to see Santa Claus. Then the boys (my Daddy, Jeff and Biscuit) go home, and Mama and I hit some more sales.

We've had this tradition for a few years now, and I'm really getting used to it. So much so that when Mama asked what we were doing for Thanksgiving, I said, "What do you mean?" She claims she was teasing me, but I told her that I'm a creature of habit, and she can't go messing with my habits!

I've been wondering how Biscuit will respond to Santa this year. The first year he saw Santa, Biscuit was too little to really understand. He sat on Santa's lap and just couldn't seem to stop staring at him. As a matter of fact, the photo we got was of Biscuit and Santa looking at each other. Last year, the look on Biscuit's face was priceless. He was on the verge of tears, but couldn't quite let go enough to cry. On the picture we got, you could tell Biscuit's bottom lip was quivering. Poor little man.

Biscuit has already told me that Santa is bringing him some firefighters. We haven't discussed Santa with him, so I have no idea where he heard about it. Day care, I'm guessing.
Anyway, I guess we'll see how it goes Friday.

No comments: