Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Name that tune

Biscuit has learned to hum.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again ... it constantly amazes me how much kids have to learn. I mean, who thinks about the fact that kids have to learn how to hum?!? 

Biscuit has been making cooing-singing-type noises since he got here. And like most babies, he has always had a reaction to music. When he was wee-tiny, I would sing an old reggae song to him (he never complained about my singing voice) ... "don't worry, about a thing, 'cause every little thing, gonna be all right." 

When he was about 1 1/2 years old, he heard that song on TV. I hadn't sung it to him in a long time, so I was really surprised that he had a reaction to it. He stopped what he was doing, got really quiet and just stared at the TV until the song was over. I was amazed and really touched that he recognized it.

I secretly hope that Biscuit is musical. I would love it if he picked up an instrument or if he loved to sing. I have a piano and a guitar, and I allow Biscuit to play them (as witnessed by the many videos I've posted). Biscuit has a drum, a xylophone and several other little fun instruments to play. So if he is musically inclined or interested, I think we've given him a good start.
But hearing him humming around the house. Hearing him make music with his own little voice. It just makes me smile every single time. You can actually tell what the song is by the intonations in his voice.

And if you think about it, do people hum when they're in a bad mood? Hearing Biscuit hum makes me feel like he's happy.
I got my Mama a refrigerator magnet that says, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." Well, in this case, Mama is very, very happy. And I hope Biscuit is, too.

No comments: