Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Rounding Turn 3

Biscuit will be moving up to the 3-year-old class in a couple of weeks, and I'm not ready.

I love his 2-year-old class teacher, plus the 3-year-old class just sounds too grown up for my little man. 

When you walk into the day care building, you're standing in the lobby. The kitchen is off to the right, and the office is off to the left. There's a door directly in front of you that leads to the main hallway of the building. The first room on the right is the infant room. That's where Biscuit started. He was 12 weeks old, and I cried every day for a week when I had to leave him there.

He learned how to sit, crawl, walk, eat baby food and say "Mama" in the infant room.

The next room on the right is the 1-year-old class. Been there, done that. Dealt with Biscuit getting bitten four times and him doing the biting twice. He also started calling his friends by name in the 1-year-old class. Well, he attemtped to call his friends by name.

Each time Biscuit has moved up, I've been so nervous. What if he doesn't like the class? What if I don't like the teacher? So far, I'm happy to say that my worries have been needless. We've loved his teachers, and Biscuit has learned so much.

The next room on the right is the 2-year-old class. In there, he has learned his alphabet, letter sounds and words that start with each letter. He has also learned colors, numbers, body parts and emotions in Spanish. I teased his teacher by telling her that she was on the verge of teaching him more Spanish than I remember from college.

Now, it's time for the 3-year-old class, and once again, I'm not ready. 

The 3-year-old class is on the left side of the hallway. Biscuit has been visiting that class for a week or so. They move the kids to different classes gradually, so it's not much of a shock to them. They don't have a process like that for the parents!

When Biscuit leaves the 2-year-old class for good, he will cross the hall. That might not sound like a big deal, but so far, he's been working his way down the hall. Moving to the other side means that he'll be working his way toward the door. He'll be in the 3-year-old class, then the 4-year-old class, then kindergarten, then he'll graduate from college and leave home. I'M NOT READY!!!!!

The first day Biscuit visited in the 3-year-old class, he stayed for about 5 minutes then told the teacher he needed to go back to his class. They didn't pressure him to stay. They let him go back to the 2-year-old class. A couple of days ago, he was visiting the 3-year-old class, and they were ready to go outside. The teacher sent him back across the hallway to get his jacket. And what did Biscuit do? He sat down and started playing with blocks. The teacher in the 2-year-old room said, "Are you supposed to be in here?"

"Yes," Biscuit said. But this time, they sent him back to the 3-year-old class. Luckily, he didn't put up a fuss. Some of his friends are already in the 3-year-old class, having moved there around their birthdays, so I think that helps.

This morning, when I took Biscuit to day care, something surprising happened. We were in the 2-year-old class for a couple of minutes, and I was getting ready to leave. Biscuit wouldn't let go of my hand. I finally leaned down and asked him what was wrong.

"I want to go in my other room," he said. He wanted to go to the 3-year-old room. Of course I was excited. But I also had this sad little part of me that wanted to tell him he wasn't big enough to be in the 3-year-old class.

Biscuit and I will be just fine with this change. He's well on his way already. I'm just taking a little longer to get there.

No comments: