Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Happy birthday, Biscuit!

Today is Biscuit's third birthday. And as cliche as it sounds, I really can't believe he's already 3.

I said Biscuit was having three parties for his birthday, but I forgot about his party at day care. We'll call it Party #2 1/2.

I understand why the policy is the way it is, but I was disappointed because I couldn't bake something to take for Biscuit's day care party. Any kind of treats or sweets you bring in have to be store-bought in their original packaging.

My Mama was a grade mother when I was in elementary school. Grade mothers were in charge of holiday parties, and if I'm remembering correctly, we would have one birthday party sometime during the school year to celebrate everybody's birthday. The Mamas would always get really creative with whatever they brought.

I remember one Easter party when Mama made cupcakes with green icing. She put three or four jellybeans on top of each cupcake, then bent a pipe cleaner from one side to the other to make each cupcake look like an Easter basket.

For Biscuit's birthday, I found some mini cupcakes at the grocery store. His teacher said as the class sang to him, Biscuit was singing along. Then they got to the part where they say his name, and she said Biscuit started looking around smiling at everybody, like "Yeah, it's my birthday!"

Today was Biscuit's last day in the 2-year-old class, and I'm pretty sad about it. We just really loved his teacher, and I think she loves him, too. As I was leaving day care this morning, Biscuit's teacher was holding him on her shoulder, rubbing his back and talking to him. 

Biscuit accomplished so much in the 2-year-old class. I know he'll be learning all new things in the 3-year-old class, but I spent a lot of today thinking about how much Biscuit has changed over the past year. The first two years of his life were all about physical learning -- eating, talking, crawling, walking. But this past year was filled with brain power -- alphabet and letter sounds, Spanish, counting objects, types of animals (remember dromaeosaurus?), shapes and lots of other stuff. His little head has been like a sponge, seemingly soaking in everything he sees and hears.

Anyway, before I get too weepy, here's a glimpse of Biscuit so far:


No comments: