Thursday, February 27, 2014

Out of the mouth of my babe

How have I not posted since Monday? Oh yeah, I had dinner with a friend Tuesday night, and I had to bring home a bunch of work yesterday. That's how.

Anyway, here are a few things Biscuit has said recently:

Super powers: Biscuit still loves superheroes. He plays with his superhero action figures. He pretends to be superheroes. He assigns superhero roles to Jeff and me. Most days, it's all superheroes all the time.

So the other day while we were playing, Biscuit came up to me and gave me the following speech:

"Hi. My name is Bruce Banner, and I have a secret ... When I get really mad, I become (looks around to see if anyone is eavesdropping), THE HULK ... You know how I got to be that way? ... This one time, I was BAM-barded by gamma rays."

"You were bam-barded?" I asked him. "Wow. That sounds serious."

"It was," Biscuit said, "but now I can fight bad guys."


Joining in the music: A friend of ours back home made a gospel bluegrass CD and gave Biscuit a copy as a gift. Biscuit loves it and knows the words to several of the songs.

Well, actually, he makes up his own words that sound sort of like the actual words of the song. Despite his lack of correct lyrics, he can carry a tune, and I love, love, love to hear his little voice coming from the back seat.

We were on the way to Biscuit's piano lesson the other night, and he asked if we could listen to the CD. He asked for a specific song, and when it came on, he sang and sang and sang.

When the song was over, Biscuit said, "Mom, did it sound just like I was inside that song?"

"Yes, it did," I said to Biscuit. "I love it when you sing."


His menu: Jeff worked late this evening, so Biscuit and I ran some errands then went out to eat. The hostess led us to our table and gave us menus.

"Mom, I want to find the honey chicken on the menu," Biscuit said. "Can you help me sound it out?"

So I helped him find the "chicken" section, then the Classic Honey Chicken.

Then Biscuit picked up a smaller one-page menu.

"What is this, Mom?" Biscuit asked, holding the small menu.

"That's the 'specials' menu," I said to Biscuit.

"Oh ... well ... I'm special, so I'm going to order off of THIS menu," Biscuit said.

There was not a trace of irony or humor when he said it, either. I had quite a hard time keeping a straight face.

"Yes, you are," I said. "You are special."

No comments: