Wednesday, February 5, 2014

One of these things is not like the others

Biscuit is very orderly about things. And when I say that, I don't mean that he doesn't create one heckuva mess on a daily basis.

But Biscuit likes lines and groups and patterns. They work a lot on those things at day care, too, which only reinforces his inborn sense of order.

So sometimes, when he sees things that aren't the way he thinks they're supposed to be, he just can't get past it.

Like in the grocery store today.

"Mom! Look at that!" Biscuit said.

"What?" I said, thinking I was going to see something shocking.

"SOMEbody left a pineapple in the melon bucket!" Biscuit said with much contempt. "There are watermelons and those other melons and one pineapple. It doesn't even go there!"


What kind of crazy person has the nerve and audacity to leave a pineapple in the melon bin?! What kind of world do we live in?!

The boy fretted over the misplaced pineapple throughout the rest of the store.

"Mom," Biscuit said, "I just don't get it."

"No telling," I told him. "You can't ever tell what people are capable of."

He just nodded his head.

No comments: