Sunday, May 22, 2011

To protect and to serve

A post from The Daddy Man:

I love 60s and 70s TV cop shows. I watch them as much for the cars on the streets as I do the stories, which tend to be hokie and corny by today's standards.

Kimmy has bought me several seasons of "Barney Miller," "SWAT" and my favorite, "Adam-12."

For the uninitiated, "Adam-12" was a spin-off of "Dragnet." It follows two L.A. cops in their patrol car (which started out as a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere), as they rode through their district, Adam-12.

Biscuit is really into police cars, fire trucks, ambulances, basically any rescue-type vehicle with a siren. So he and I watch "Adam-12" episodes together pretty frequently.

Over the past couple of days, I've had to laugh at two things he's picked up from the show.

The first happened when we were outside playing in the backyard. Biscuit was about to mount a ride-on toy motorcycle, but before he got on it, he put one hand on the handlebars and one hand on the seat. Then he jumped up and down a couple of times, making revving noises with his mouth.

"What are you doing?" I asked him.

"I crank up motorcycle, Dad," he said. I thought for a minute, then realized that in a recent episode of "Adam-12," we had seen a guy kick-starting his motorcycle. That stuck with Biscuit enough so he had to try it on his own motorcycle.

The other thing happened tonight at a dinner party we had with some friends.

Biscuit would hold his hand up to his mouth and say something, but none of us could figure it out. We kept asking him to repeat himself.

Then it hit me. Biscuit was holding his hand up to his mouth just like Officer Reed holds the police radio in "Adam-12." And what was it that Biscuit was saying? "One-Adam-12, Roger."

My boy has no idea how cool he is.

No comments: