Monday, May 23, 2011

Dancing the night away

Biscuit's day care had a Dance Through the Decades party Friday night. We were supposed to dress up to represent one of the decades, and they had set up food in one room, a Wii system with dance games in another room and a dance floor in another room, complete with bright-colored disco balls.

I had completely forgotten about the dance until I picked up Biscuit at about 6 p.m. Friday. One of the teachers asked if we were comin
g, and I told her I had forgotten about it, but we'd try to get back.

After Biscuit
and I left day care, I did what I always do in these types of situations -- I called my Mama. I told her about the party and asked if she knew some easy costumes we could do. She suggested we do the 1950s, and that sounded like the easiest thing to me.

Jeff and Biscuit wore jeans with the
cuffs turned up and white T-shirts with the sleeves rolled up. Jeff said he needed a pack of cigarettes to roll up in his sleeve. I told him that we were not going to promote smoking at day care, so we improvised by rolling his cellphone up in his sleeve. Jeff wore saddle oxford shoes, and Biscuit wore his Converse All-Stars with the flames on the side, aka Fire Shoes.

When we got to the day care center, we chec
ked out the teachers' outfits. The 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s were represented. The 60s teacher had on a mod-looking shift dress with go-go boots. The 70s teacher had on a tie-dyed shirt with a peace symbol necklace and a huge afro. She was really funny as she walked around patting her fake hair. A couple of the teachers dressed up in 80s clothes -- one had the Valley girl look with layered polo shirts, sparkly fingernails and a side ponytail and a male teacher had on a satiny gold shirt that looked like something a "Solid Gold" dancer would have worn.

We walked into the dancing room, and this woman yelled out, "See? I TOLD you they'd dress up! They ALWAYS dress up! The only way I could get my husband to dress up is to tell him that you guys would be here."

I thought that was a funny thing to say for a couple of reasons:

1. I don't know this woman at all. We had one
conversation at Halloween where she did all the talking. She said Biscuit is a sweet little boy. She said he seems to be growing up too fast. She said she likes my car and would love to know more about it. And then before I could respond to any of her comments, she said, "Ooo. They've got cake and ice cream" and ran away from me.

2. "They ALWAYS dress up!" the woman said, but the Halloween party was the first after-hours day care event Jeff and I had been to. We did dress up, but that was the first and only time.

I did like that we were the reason they dressed up. I think the other parents should dress up, too. It doesn't take a whole lot of effort, and the kids seem to really enjoy it.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of us in the 50s:






















































No comments: