Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:

Laundry man: I told Biscuit to take his navy blue shirt to the hamper the other evening, not realizing that Jeff was in the process of doing laundry. Biscuit ran into our closet, then he ran right back out, still holding the shirt.

"Why are you still holding your shirt?" I asked. "I told you to put it in the hamper."

Biscuit let out a huge sigh and said, "I know, Mom, but there were only light colors in there, so I didn't think I should leave it there."

I am raising a good future husband for someone one day!


Geography lessons: Biscuit is fascinated with the fact that we live in a neighborhood, which is in a city, which is in a county, in a state, in a country, on a continent, in the world.

And because Scotland is the country he's most familiar with, he relates all foreign countries to the Highlands.

Biscuit and I were talking about countries, then somehow go onto the subject of ninjas. 

"Well, ninjas used to be like special soldiers who lived in Japan," I told Biscuit. "I don't know if there are still ninjas in Japan or not."

"Mom, I think there are still ninjas," Biscuit said. "And in case you didn't know, Japan is like Scotland, but all the way, way past Scotland."

"That's good to know," I said.


Making conversation: We were running errands Sunday evening, and I was trying to get both my dawdling boys to hurry up. (I spend a good bit of my life trying to get Jeff and Biscuit to hurry up!)

We were inside the store looking at some T-shirts for Biscuit when they made the closing announcements. "We will be closing in 15 minutes. Please make your final selections and make your way to the registers."

I gave Jeff an "I TOLD you" look.

"I had no idea they closed this early," Jeff said.

"It's Sunday!" I said. "They ALWAYS close an hour earlier on Sundays."

I really needed to get my shopping done, so I gave Jeff two or three things to get and I flew around the rest of the store getting what I needed - shampoo, cereal, bread, etc.

We got in a checkout line, and as usual, my line was moving slower than all the others.

"Excuse me," Biscuit said to the cashier. She didn't hear him.

"EXCUSE ME!" Biscuit nearly shouted at her.

She looked up at him, and he said, "My name is Griffin. What's your name?"

"My name is Kathy," she said.

"It's nice to meet you Kathy," Biscuit said.

"It's nice to meet you, too, Griffin," she said.

They had the usual Biscuit/total stranger conversation about how he got his name, how old he is, whether or not he's in school yet, and then the conversation took a turn. And it was just as we were finishing our transaction.

"Um, excuse me, Kathy, did you notice that I'm wearing new sandals?" Biscuit said. He has a new pair of those shoes that look like a cross between tennis shoes and sandals.


"Since I'm wearing sandals, that's why I'm not wearing socks," Biscuit said.

"That's a good fashion statement," she said.

"And my Mom, she's wearing sandals, too," Biscuit said. "Mom, can you lift your foot up and show your sandals to Kathy?"

I certainly didn't want to show the lady my sandals or my feet, but I made an effort.

"And my Dad, he's wearing sandals, too. See?" Biscuit said, pointing down to Jeff's feet.

We were done with our transaction before Biscuit ever told her to look at my shoes, but he was still talking. They had even turned off part of the lights in the store.

Then Kathy asked Biscuit a question that I didn't hear.

Biscuit just sat there looking at her.

"Did you hear me?" she asked.

"Um, sometimes, when I don't know the answer, I just don't respond," Biscuit said.

"Well that's okay," she said, and we quickly ushered Biscuit toward the door.

No comments: