Thursday, August 15, 2013

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:


What day is it? "Mom, why are we going to Grandmama's house tomorrow?" Biscuit asked me.

"Her birthday is next week, so we're going to celebrate it with her this weekend," I said.

"But Mom, why can't we go see her on her REAL birthday?" he asked.

"Because it's in the middle of the week," I said.

"Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom ... is it HUMP-DAY?" Biscuit asked, laughing his little head off.

Watch this commercial, and you'll understand.




Research and study: "Mom, there's a boy in my day care who has curly hair," Biscuit said. "Can you believe that?"


"Why does that surprise you?" I asked. "Boys can have curly hair, too."

"But I thought only girls have curly hair," Biscuit said.

I started thinking about it, and none of the men in our family have curly hair, although my brother and my nephew would both have curls if their hair wasn't 1/2 an inch long. So I told Biscuit that if their hair wasn't so short, they'd both have curly hair, and he was very surprised.

"My cousin has a lot of hair, but it's just cut short so you can't see curls," Biscuit said. "But my uncle, he doesn't have a lot of hair. But his is cut short, too, so you can't see curls."

"That's right," I told him.

"Mom, I'm just a scientist for all my people," Biscuit said.

"What?" I asked him.

"A scientist," he said. "When you know all about something, that makes you a scientist. And I know all about my people, so I'm a scientist. Nobody knows they have curly hair but you and me. I'm a scientist, and you can be my helper."

To which I wanted to hunch over and say, "Walk thees way ..."

Marty Feldman as Igor from "Young Frankenstein."

No comments: