Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Shop talk

People who knew me 10 years ago -- actually, people who knew me 5 years ago -- won't believe this, but I don't like to shop anymore.

My Mama and I used to go on marathon shopping trips. We'd leave early in the morning, hit tons of stores, grab some lunch, then get right back to shopping. We would walk all day, try on tons of clothes, debate home decor ideas, catch great sales and head back home happy and exhausted.

Nowadays, I have to work around Biscuit's schedule which limits the time I can spend shopping. I have an arthritic condition in my right foot, along with a pinched nerve in my right leg and just for good measure, plantar fasciitis in my left foot that keep me from being able to walk long distances. And shopping money isn't as readily available now that we have a mortgage and day care to pay.

As the weather has started to get warmer, I checked out my closet for spring clothes. As I looked through the hangers, all I could think was "what in the world did I wear last spring?" 

So it was time to buy some new stuff. Enter dread.

Finding the time is the first problem. Last weekend, we went to see the bunnies. This weekend is my nephew's out-of-town birthday party. So that leaves weeknights. Jeff worked late Monday. The minor league baseball team in town starts its season Thursday. We're leaving Friday to drive out of town for the birthday party. That left last night and tonight, so I decided to split it up. I went to one store yesterday evening and one store tonight.

Last night, I took Biscuit with me. The store we were going to was at the mall. I've never taken Biscuit to the mall without a stroller. So I parked outside the store, and Biscuit and I went in. I explained to him that he was to remain in my sight at all times.

Everything was going fine until Biscuit spotted a column with a mirror on it. Jeff is one of the least vain people I know, but that man loves a mirror. I think he was a bird in another life and just still likes shiny things. Well, he passed that love on to Biscuit. If there is a mirror around, Biscuit will be looking into it.

As soon as I glanced around and realized he wasn't right beside me, I started frantically calling his name.

"I'm right here, Mom," Biscuit said. "I'm looking a two Griffins in this mirror."

I got in his face and said, "You cannot ever walk away from me in a store. You have to stay where I can see you." I must've said it in a stern voice because I could see the concern showing up on his face.

"I'm sorry, Mom," Biscuit said. "I won't do it again. I'll stay right here."

We went into a dressing room where the temperature was about 1,000 degrees. Biscuit was getting hungry, and I was getting grumpy. I finally picked out the things I wanted, and we headed to the cashier.

There was a bit of a line, so as I glanced around the store and spied the escalator.

"Hey," I said. "Do you want to ride the escalator?"

"What's the escalator, Mom?" Biscuit asked.

Then I realized that he's been in elevators but never an escalator.

He had a little trouble stepping on, but after he got his balance, he started smiling.

"Mom, these are stairs. And they're moving," Biscuit said.

"Yeah," I said. "Isn't it cool?"

We took one ride up, then one ride down, then he talked about it for the next 15 minutes.

As we were leaving, Biscuit said, "I LIKE shopping, Mom. Can I come shopping with you again?"

I'm not sure how long it will last, but I think I'll take him up on his offer while it's still good.

No comments: