Monday, April 9, 2012

Egg hunts

Biscuit got to go to four egg hunts this past week -- one at day care, one at my Mama's church, one at his cousin's birthday party and one at Mama's house.

For the day care egg hunt, the teachers cut up plastic milk jugs to make baskets. The kids got to decorate them with colored tissue paper. The parents donated eggs and candy. We helped Biscuit open all his eggs when he got home, and you wouldn't believe how much candy he got.

Here's his basket:

 

Then on to the next one. We went to my parents' for the weekend. While I was decorating my nephew's birthday cake, Mama took Biscuit to the egg hunt at her church. It was by far the best hunt Biscuit went to.

They had stories and songs and games. Biscuit's age group was the biggest, so there were only enough eggs for them to find a couple a piece. Except that an old friend of mine slipped Biscuit a couple of extra candy-filled eggs!



One of the songs had Biscuit hopping and doing hand motions to look like a rabbit. For one game, he had to lie on his belly and use his nose to push a chocolate egg down the length of a mat.



The volunteers had craft stations set up, including one where Biscuit made an Easter lily out of his own hand print.


The church egg hunt ended close to lunchtime, so each child got a sack lunch. They had cut the sacks into Easter baskets and packed them with PB&Js, cheese puffs in bags that made them look like big carrots and jelly beans with a chart that listed the meaning for each color.


Then at my nephew's birthday party (that's his partially decorated cake behind the lunch bag above), my niece hid the eggs for the rest of the kids to find. Biscuit was lucky to find any eggs there. Those boys searched for eggs like their lives depended on it. The all had runner's poses at the start line, and when my sister-in-law yelled "go," they jumped off the line like they were being shot out of cannons. And if two of the boys saw the same egg, they were not afraid to tackle to get what they wanted.


The final hunt was at my parents' house Sunday afternoon. It was just my brother's family, my parents, Jeff, me and Biscuit. I think Biscuit was all egg-hunted-out because by the time the eggs were hidden, he said he didn't want to hunt anymore eggs. He just wanted to play.

Over the past few days, he had accumulated an overflowing basket worth of eggs and candy and trinkets and toys, and he was just plain done.

All good things must come to an end, I guess. At least we got some cute pictures.


No comments: