Thursday, April 26, 2012

Car show

Sometimes I sit down at the computer to write a blog post, and I have no idea what I'm going to write about. Then sometimes, like now, I have about 80,000 topics but not enough time to get them all down.

I have little notepads around the house and in my pocketbook where I jot down ideas, topics and direct quotes from Biscuit, and even though 80,000 topics was exaggerating just a bit, I honestly do have about 25 or 30 topics to write about.

I'm also behind on some things, too. Like the car show we went to a few weeks ago.

We had to drive two cars because the Barracuda doesn't have the equipment to properly install Biscuit's car seat. That's why we usually only go to shows that are pretty close to us. This one took about half an hour to get there.

In preparation, I packed snacks and filled a water bottle for Biscuit. It's always funny to me when I realize that Biscuit is prepared for whatever might happen, and I didn't pack a thing for Jeff and me.

So I had snacks, water, sunscreen, wipes, a jacket, sunglasses, a hat and the umbrella stroller for Biscuit. For Jeff and me? Nada. 

I put Biscuit's stroller in the car while worrying how old is too old for him to be in a stroller. But knowing how much walking we were going to do, and knowing that he was going to get tired of walking, and knowing that he now weights 30 1/2 pounds, I decided that the stroller was a good plan.

We checked out all the cars. There were some nice vehicles there. Some were worth lots of money (a rare AAR 'Cuda). Some not worth much except for the nostalgia they brought the owners (1967 unrestored Mercury Cougar).

Admission to the Richard Petty Museum was part of the show entry fee, so we took a look around at some of the Petty family cars (his dad, son and grandson also raced), tons of trophies, lots of photos and some unusual collections, including some commemorative rifles and guns, all No. 43 (Richard's car number) of the series they came from.

After the museum, I could tell Biscuit was getting tired. And a few minutes later, he was fast asleep in his stroller. I was really glad I had it.I took Biscuit up on the porch of the museum in the shade. I sat in a rocking chair and told Jeff he could go look at the rest of the cars.

The announcer called for all the car owners to come to the stage for the awards presentation. Jeff won second place in the Mopar division and was very excited. Well, as excited as Jeff gets.

Earlier that afternoon, we had spent some time talking with a couple who owned a 1967 GTX. Jeff was explaining to Biscuit that his parents brought him home from the hospital in a car just like that. It was his Dad's first brand-new car. I doubt Biscuit totally understood what Jeff was telling him, but I love that Jeff shared the story with him.

The woman was talking to Biscuit, then she looked down at his chest and looked back at me.

"He's from a mixed marriage," I said. "I grew up a Ford girl, and his father is a Mopar man." Biscuit was wearing a Mustang shirt and a Mopar jacket.

"We don't care about the namebrands as much as the work that goes into the cars," the man said. "We just love to see people taking care of the old ones."

When I was sitting with Biscuit on the porch, and Jeff was at the stage, the couple came over and stood beside me. When they called Jeff's name. I pumped my fist and said, "YES! He is going to be so excited."

The couple looked at each other, then looked at me.

"Do y'all own that Barracuda?" the woman asked.

"Yes, we do," I said. "My father-in-law restored it."

"I had no idea," the woman said. "We judged that category! We love that car."

I'm glad they have a keen eye for detail and craftsmanship, not to mention knowledge of old cars.

Here are a few pictures from the day:

Hat, shades and goldfish. He's ready to go.


Richard Petty Museum. He won Daytona in this car.

Cool seat in the kids' room. It's an old bumper car.

A couch in the kids' room made out of an old Pontiac trunk.

"Cars" was on a continual loop in the kids' room. Someone was fascinated.

Die cast cars in the museum.

Gold-plated tools, including a spray pot and tire gauge.

Biscuit gets a "neck ride" so he can see the cars on the high shelves.

He's had all the car show he can take.

Yay! A well-deserved second place.



No comments: