Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A new book

Some friends at work were talking about children's books and reminiscing about an author they both liked when they were little. 

The four of us ladies who sit together represent four decades (30s, 40s, 50s and 60s), so when the 50-something and 60-something ladies mentioned the author's name they both liked, it surprised me that it sounded familiar.

I did a search online and realized that a book Biscuit got for his birthday this past year was by the author they were talking about. The edition Biscuit got listed 2001 as the publish date, so I assumed that's when it was written. But after doing a little research, I found out it was written in 1949.

1949! I never would've guessed.

The book is about a cowboy. But it doesn't seem old-fashioned because it talks about horses, stirrups, hay, barns and riding the range. And those are still things cowboys use and do. Biscuit has latched on to the book as his weekend nap book. So if we're home on Saturday and Sunday when it's time for his nap, I have to read the cowboy book to him.

After I had read the cowboy book at least 1,000 times, I looked up the author and added some of her other books to Biscuit's wish list, including one about a fireman, one about a policeman and one about an airplane (and as it turns out, written in 1946, 1962 and 1959 respectively).

I got a nice surprise this morning when I found a copy of the fireman book on my desk. And it was an even nicer surprise to watch Biscuit open it this evening.

Here are a few pictures of Biscuit opening his surprise:








No comments: