Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Whew!

There aren't words to describe the feeling I just recovered from ... a feeling I'd really like to never experience again.

I walked back into my bedroom from a quick bathroom trip and found Biscuit holding his pacifier saying, "It boken, Mama. It boken."

Once I got close enough to see it, my heart sank. Biscuit was holding his pacifier and half of the nipple part of it was torn off and was nowhere to be found.

Let me just pause and say ... HOLY CRAP!!!!!

"Biscuit, where is the other part of your pacifier?" I asked frantically.

"In my mouf," he said.

"WHAT?!?!?" is what I said, but what I was thinking was "HOLY CRAP!!!!!"

"Did you swallow it? Did you eat it? Is it in your mouth? Is it in your tummy?" I was trying to ask him any question that might get the answer I wanted. And he was just crawling around on the bed as if nothing was wrong.

He seemed fine. He wasn't choking. But still, did he swallow it? What would a hunk of silicone do to a little boy's belly? Could it cause a blockage? Could it get stuck somewhere? How would they get it out? OH GOD, I NEED TO TAKE HIM TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM!!!! Of all the nights for Jeff to be working!

I turned to go get my shoes and, luckily I was barefoot, I stepped on the broken piece of silicone nipple.

I'd love to say that I let out a big sigh of relief, but to be truthful, that's when the overwhelming fear kicked in. I know we'll probably have a thousand close calls of one kind or another as Biscuit grows up. And I know that I can't dwell on "what could've been," but jeezy pete that was scary. What if he HAD swallowed it?!?

It's 10:46 right now, and Biscuit is nowhere near sleep. I think some of my adrenaline must've seeped into him as I was hugging him tight. But you know what? I don't care if he's up until 2 a.m. I'm just glad he's okay.

Here is the "boken" pacifier.


No comments: