Sunday, January 23, 2011

Rolling right along

My parents are spontaneous people. Sometimes they would come home from work Friday evening, and we'd throw some stuff in a bag and take a road trip. I guess that's why I have that streak in me, too.

But I've found that when there's a little person involved, spontaneity can sometimes throw a monkey wrench in things. If you mess up their schedule and surroundings too much, it tends to show up in one way or another.

Today, Biscuit was more relaxed and more himself than I've seen in about a week or so.

My in-laws come down South to spend January with us every year. We love having them here, especially Biscuit. My father-in-law usually does house projects for us while he's here. And as much as I appreciate getting them done, this year, I can tell that it had an affect on Biscuit.

I have a great new floor in my kitchen. I also have new shelves in my kitchen storage closet. I think it was supposed to be a coat closet, but it's an odd-shaped little space that is wedged under the stairs. And since it was in the kitchen, I claimed it as my kitchen storage space.

Anyway, the day my father-in-law was building the shelves, all the stuff I have in that closet was scattered across the kitchen and into the dining room -- canisters of flour, sugar, etc., appliances that I don't use every day, graduated and shaped cake pans, serving platters ... all of that kind of stuff.

Then immediately after finishing that, my father-in-law started putting down a new floor in my kitchen. We've been in our house for 7 1/2 years, and from the day we moved in, I have wanted different flooring in the kitchen. So my father-in-law was making that happen.

The bad part was that the stove, kitchen table and some other stuff was crammed into the dining room. The refrigerator was wedged between the kitc
hen and our bedroom. So the area of the house where Biscuit eats and spends a good bit of time was in complete disarray. The project also meant we were eating dinner out for about a week.

And just for good measure, Jeff worked night shifts Monday and Tuesday. Then Biscuit and I saw a movie with a friend of mine Wednesday (more on that to come soon). I had my weekly girls' dinner Thursday, which meant I wasn't home until late. Jeff got stuck late at work Friday. We had company all day Saturday. And my in-laws went home this morning.

That's a lot for a little guy to handle in a couple of weeks.

I think he did a great job dealing with everything. There were only a few meltdowns and occasional whining. But for the most part, he just rolled with the punches.

Here's a picture of Biscuit "helping" Grandpa get the fridge put back into place. You can also see a tiny bit of my new floor.


No comments: