Sunday, January 23, 2011

Hola, y'all.

When Biscuit moved up into the 2-year-old class at day care, the teachers said they'd be teaching him some Spanish. But I didn't think to ask when the lessons would start.

One morning, Biscuit was standing in our bathroom when he looked in the mirror and said, "Ye-oh shirt, bown pants." I said, "Yep. You have a yellow shirt and brown pants. Good job with your colors, little man."

When we got to day care that morning, I told his teacher that he was doing well with his colors and that he had told me when we dressed him the color of his pants and shirt.

"What color is your shirt?" I asked Biscuit in front of his teacher.

"Ye-oh," he said.

Then he teacher said, "Or ...?"

"Amarillo," Biscuit said. That's Spanish for yellow.

"My kid is bilingual and nobody told me!" I teased his teacher.

She said, "I told you we were going to teach him Spanish." But I just didn't know when it would start.

They're working on colors, body parts and numbers.

As a matter of fact, here's how he counted for us this afternoon:1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 13, 16, 17, diez (10 in Spanish)

I took Spanish in college, but I don't remember a whole lot. I guess I need to brush up, lest the boy call me something I can't understand!

No comments: