Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Out of the mouth of my babe

Some funny things Biscuit is saying right now:

Pancake sauce: Biscuit is fascinated by sauces. My brother taught him to dip his fries in ketchup, so now he wants sauce for lot of other foods, too. I cook pancakes on some weekend mornings and freeze the leftovers for during-the-week breakfast. In the past, I've given him plain pancakes because the few times he's had syrup, it's just been overwhelmingly messy. But lately, he's been doing so well with his fork, I thought I'd let him try his pancakes with syrup. I made pancakes this past Saturday morning, and he loved the syrup. And we're spoiling him already because the syrup we have is from people my in-laws know who make it themselves. It's real maple syrup. None of that maple-flavored-topping-product.

Late Sunday morning after Jeff's parents left, Biscuit grabbed Jeff's hand and pulled him into the kitchen. "Want some, Dad," Biscuit said to Jeff.

"Want some what?" Jeff asked.

"Want some sauce, Dad," Biscuit said while pointing at the refrigerator.

Jeff opened the fridge door, and Biscuit pointed right at the jug of syrup. "What's that?" Jeff asked.

"Pancake sauce," Biscuit said.

Hoowah: I don't know if Biscuit has been watching Pacino or if he's practicing his Marine yells, but lately, every time he does something even remotely strenuous, he yells out, "HOO-WAH!"

"Biscuit, can you pick up your cars?" I'll ask him.

One by one, he'll drop the cars in the box and yell, "HOO-WAH!"

"Want go home": Biscuit has a book that talks about some lady bugs who are trying to find their way back home. So every once in a while, out of the blue, he'll say, "Want go back home, Mama," like the ladybugs in the book do. And at the time he says it, he'll be sitting on the couch in our living room. "You ARE home," I'll say to him, but that doesn't fly. "No, Mom, want go back home," he'll say. I tried to explain it to him a few times, but at this point, I usually just say, "Okay, baby. We'll go back home." And that usually does the trick.

"I funny": When Biscuit does something that makes us laugh, we tell him he's funny. I guess he's heard us say it enough so that now, when he say something that makes us laugh, before we can say anything, he says, "I funny, Mama. I funny."

"Be right back": Whenever Biscuit leaves the room, he says, "Be right back." Sometimes he comes back, sometimes you have to track him down to find out what he's up to.

My best fend: The object of this comment changes from day to day, but Biscuit will readily say, "I wuv you, Mama. Mama is Giffin best fend." And other than Jeff, I can't think of a better friend to have.

No comments: