Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Father-son time

A post from The Daddy Man:

Biscuit's school participates in the NFL-sponsored program All-Pro Dads. It's a monthly early morning gathering for dads and kids. They serve breakfast and have a speaker who talks about topics such as respect, responsibility and self-esteem. And they promote general dad involvement in families.

The program at Biscuit's school starts at 6:30 a.m. ... in other words, really early! And Biscuit wants to go every single time.

The last meeting was a couple of weeks ago, but I forgot to RSVP for us to be there. They like to have a head count so they can order just enough breakfast sandwiches. So the night before, I emailed the director and told him that we would try to be at the meeting, but for him not to worry about getting breakfast for us. The plan was to pick up breakfast on the way.

On the morning of the event, I got up and got ready. Then I got Biscuit ready. And just as we were heading for the door, I realized that I hadn't left enough time to make his lunch.

Kimmy fussed at me that evening for not waking her up, but she was sleeping so well, I just didn't have the heart to do it.

I got Biscuit's lunch put together, and as I looked at the clock, I realized that I had to give him a choice.

I said, "Dude, we can either get to All Pro Dads and not have breakfast; grab some breakfast and get to the meeting late; or you and I can miss the meeting and just go somewhere and eat breakfast, just the two of us."

"We should just go just the two of us to have breakfast," Biscuit said. "Instead of All Pro Dads, it'll be One Pro Dad." And then he giggled.

So that's what we did. We had a good morning together and had probably just as much fun as we would've had at All Pro Dads.

No comments: