Friday, June 3, 2016

Art lesson

Biscuit doesn't care much for art projects ... much to my chagrin. I've always loved coloring and creating, but my boy just doesn't. Don't get me wrong. He's got imagination to spare, but he uses it with his action figures and other toys, not on paint, markers and crayons.

Biscuit does love history, though, and recently, in art class at school, he learned that art and history can go together. His art teacher told them all about some Impressionist artist, including Claude Monet.

They mainly talked about his paintings of water lilies. 

Monet painted about 250 oil paintings of water lilies in the last 30 years of his life. They were in his flower garden in his backyard, complete with a Japanese bridge. If you look at an Impressionist painting close up, you'll see splotches, smears and brush strokes in the paint but not the picture. You have to move back for the picture to become clear.

Here's one of the paintings with the Japanese bridge:



I wish I had shot this video the day he came home and told me about it, but actually remembered a lot a few days later. Here's Biscuit talking about Claude Monet.



After teaching them about the artist, the teacher had them make water lilies out of clay. She fired them, then they painted them.

Biscuit brought his home and was very proud.

"So where should we put this, Mom?" Biscuit asked me. "Because I know that you're gonna want to look at it every day."

I wanted to grin, but he was completely serious.

"You know, you're right," I said, and I found a place on my cookbook shelves in the kitchen.

Here's Biscuit's creation:

No comments: