Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Biscuit's words

Biscuit is pretty observant of words and turns of phrase. So when he hears a new one, he stores it in that little head of his and tries it out every once in a while. Some of them, he keeps in regular conversation, and some of them seem to wear out their welcome.

Here are a few that he's held onto.

Last I knew ...

This one he got from me. As in, "Last I knew, she still worked at the paper."

Biscuit and I were in the living room one day, and the book we had just read was on the floor.

"What did you do with that book?" I asked him.

"Last I knew, you were reading it to me, Mom," Biscuit said.

"Pick up the book!" I said to him.

"Okaaaaay," Biscuit said.

Evidently ... and Apparently ...

I think these go along with "actually" as words that kids find easy to use but that sound fancy.

"Evidently, I left Iron Man somewhere that I can't remember," Biscuit said recently.

On another day, I asked Biscuit if he knew where Jeff was.

"Apparently, he's either in the bathroom or gone, Mom," Biscuit said.

Period ...

I try to give Biscuit a heads-up if there is an emergency vehicle anywhere in sight.

"Dude! Look!" I said to Biscuit, trying to exude excitement.

"Mom, it's just a police car ... Period," Biscuit said.

Now, what's that ...

As in "Now what's that you're eating, Mom?" Biscuit will ask. Or "Now what's that book Dad is reading?"

That's just nonsense ...

This one is usually when someone is doing something Biscuit finds inappropriate.

"Mom, those boys were riding their skateboards on the road," Biscuit said. "Now that's just nonsense."

Now that's what I call ...

I'm not sure where this one came from. Biscuit had a really long french fry the other night and commented on it.

"Now that's what I call a french fry!" Biscuit said.

I might as well ...

"Do you want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or a grilled cheese?" I asked Biscuit recently.

"Well, I might as well have peanut butter and jelly, Mom," Biscuit said. "And then I might as well go play."

What in the world ...

Biscuit has taken something my Daddy says and added to it. My Daddy says, "What in the world ..." all the time.

Now Biscuit will say, "Mom, what in the wide world is that?!" when he sees something that freaks him out.

No comments: