Friday, October 4, 2013

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:

Not his cup of tea: Sometimes I share with Biscuit songs or poems or other fun things I learned as a kid. He usually really likes to hear them. But one I sang the other day didn't fare very well.

"Great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts," I sang.

But before I could even finish the song, Biscuit scrunched up his face and said, "Mom, you're not funny because that's just gross."

"Dude! That hurts my feelings," I told him.

"I'm sorry it hurt your feelings, Mom," he said. "But it's still nasty."


Which sandwich? "Dad, what's that bread you like?" Biscuit asked.

"I like lots of bread," Jeff said. "Can you give me a hint?"

"I think it's called 'pumperdickel,'" Biscuit said.

"Oh, yeah, pumperdickel," Jeff said. "It's really good for sandwiches."


Clever combos: Biscuit is pretty good at drawing comparisons. He comes up with some pretty funny responses. Like the other day.

Biscuit and Jeff were in the backyard playing baseball, and the temperature was in the high 80s. 

Biscuit and Jeff were both sweating as they walked in the back door.

"Mom! I'm as hot as coffee," Biscuit said.


Spooky stuff: With Halloween coming up, we've been talking about ghosts and witches and spooky critters of all kinds. We keep it light, and we reassure Biscuit that none of those creatures is real.

We went to the grocery store after work yesterday evening, and it was past dinnertime when we got home. I put the perishables in the fridge, put the other stuff on the counter and just left the empty bags on the floor.

There was a plastic produce bag on top of the bigger bags, and it suddenly started moving.

"Hey! I think there's a ghost in the house," I said.

"Why?" Biscuit asked.

"Because that bag is moving by itself. Look!" I said.

Biscuit looked over at the bag and watched it move for a few seconds.

"Mom," he said, clearly exasperated, "There isn't a ghost. The ceiling fan is moving the bag. If there was really a ghost, it would make a noise like, 'Ooooooooooo!'"

No comments: