Sunday, October 13, 2013

Cleaning machine

Our weekends have been so booked up that I've neglected some cleaning chores that have been on my list for a while.

But this weekend, our schedule was a little lighter, and I got to work. Sadly, it's all that stuff that, if you walked into my house, you'd never know I did.

Things like cleaning out and rearranging the pantry and my closet. Or sending my kitchen tools and the crock they're stored in through the dishwasher. Or doing some more rearranging of the attic in preparation for Biscuit's big-boy room.

I've been trying to purge some items from our house - my stuff, Jeff's stuff, Biscuit's stuff and house stuff. Luckily, we've been able to find new homes for everything (which is way better than stuff adding to the landfill). Some things we're giving away to specific people. Some things are going to charities we support. The rest will go to one of the donation stores.

Our store of give-away items is in the garage right now, and Biscuit happened to walk out there. He saw some of the toys and clothes we have packed up, and he asked about them.

"Mom, are you throwing away all my toys?" he asked in a very concerned tone.

"No, definitely not," I assured him. "Everything we're getting rid of is either something that you're too big to wear or too big to play with."

"But Mom, I love that truck," he said, pointing to a small dumptruck in one of the bags.

"I know you USED to love it, but you haven't played with it for over a year," I told him. "So we're going to send it to another little boy who can love it as much as you did. Okay?"

"Okay," Biscuit said, but he didn't sound convinced.

I'm sure it's hard for him to see his stuff go away, even if it's something he doesn't wear or play with anymore. But I do want to instill a sense of giving in him if I can. But I also want him to feel sure that if he goes to day care, he won't come home with no toys to play with. I think it's a balancing act.

One thing Biscuit IS excited about is his big-boy room. Jeff and I are off next week, so we're planning to paint his room.

Biscuit picked out the color. It's a nice pale blue, and it just happens to have our last name as part of the color name.

Here's a picture of Biscuit as he and Puppy drive through the home improvement store.


No comments: