Thursday, July 11, 2013

Vocabulary

Biscuit has a pretty good vocabulary. He knows lots of words, and he's good at figuring out how to use them properly.

Since Jeff and I are both reporter/editor types, I guess he gets his word skills honest.

But sometimes, it's not just about him knowing the words, it's how he uses them. I swear, I think the child was supposed to have been born in the 1940s. I can see him in a little trench coat and fedora saying, "Here's lookin' at you, kid."

It's the tone of voice, body language and the touch of confidence he has.

Like the other night.

"Biscuit, we need to pick up some of these toys," I told him.

"We can certainly try," Biscuit said.

He said "we can certainly try," and as he said it, he sort of gestured with his hand. Something about it just sounded like a grownup, not a 4 1/2-year-old.

But I treated him like a 4 1/2-year-old when I said, "There's no trying, just do it."

Then this evening.

Biscuit couldn't find his firefighter shoes this morning, so he had to wear another pair to day care. Jeff was off work today, and I guess he ran across Biscuit's shoes at some point and put them near the front door.

When we walked in this evening, Biscuit looked down, saw his shoes and said, "HEY! There's my shoes. How did they get there?"

"Maybe they walked there all by themselves," I said.

"If they walked there by themselves, I would be awfully impressed," Biscuit said.

He'd be awfully impressed.

I'm awfully impressed, too.

No comments: