Monday, July 15, 2013

In one ear ...

Biscuit's ears don't work like they used to. And before you get worried, let me tell you that there is absolutely nothing physically wrong with them.

They hear cartoons just fine. They hear music just fine. They even hear some of what we say just fine. Things like, "we're having pizza for dinner" or "let's go outside" or "which cartoon do you want to watch."

But things like "pick up your toys" or "turn off the TV" or "don't touch that" just disappear into thin air before they make it into his little head.

I can be talking straight to him, and I can tell that he's not paying attention. I'll even tell him to look at my eyes, and he won't hold contact more than a few seconds before his attention is gone.

And heaven forbid I should ask him to repeat what I just said to him.

Last night, I said - and these were the exact words I used, "You need to come pick up these cars. You can't leave your toys on the living room floor. It would be really easy for someone to trip over them and get hurt."

"Okay, Mom," Biscuit said, but he kept playing with whatever it was that he was playing with.

"Did you hear me?" I asked.

"Yes, ma'am," Biscuit said.

"What did I say?" I asked him.

"Um, you said that sometimes people get hurt," Biscuit said.

"Really? That's what you heard?" I asked him.

Biscuit nodded his head.

I looked at him for a few seconds with my lips pursed. He could tell I wasn't pleased, and he kept glancing back and forth between my face and the floor. It was like he was waiting for whatever I was going to say next and wondering whether I'd be mad and yell at him or not.

"Pick up your toys," I said and kept staring at him.

"Oooookkaaaaaay," Biscuit said with a huff.

So the rules are that I still can't shake him, right?!

No comments: