Thursday, July 4, 2013

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:


An effort at manners: Jeff and Biscuit played baseball in the backyard while I was at work today.

"He did a good job playing ball today," Jeff said to me as Biscuit was playing with some cars.

Biscuit paused for a second and said, "You're welcome, Dad."


Building bridges: Biscuit was lying on the couch with his legs stretched over to the coffee table.

"Look! I'm a bridge," he said.

"Can I walk over you?" Jeff asked.

"Only if you're a toy person, Dad," Biscuit said.



Appreciation: We sit with Biscuit as he says his prayers at night. I never liked some of the memorized prayers, so I told him he just needed to say thank you to God for anything he was grateful for.

Sometimes his list gets a little long, but we try to be patient.

One night, he said, "And thank you God for baseball ... and basketball ... and soccer ... and rugby ... and ... oh yeah, football." We take the boy to one rugby game, and suddenly it outranks football in his prayers.

Jeff got new tires put on my car last week, and they made a big difference in how the car handles. I guess Biscuit had prayers on his mind as I was thanking Jeff for getting my new tires. 

"Thank you for getting new tires on my car," I said to Jeff.

"Don't thank Dad, thank God," Biscuit said. And he was serious. He stared at me until I folded my hands, closed my eyes and said, "Thank you, God, for my new tires."

No comments: