Saturday, July 20, 2013

Out of the mouth of my babe - movie night edition

A few things Biscuit has said about our movie outing:

Ticket taker: As Biscuit and I walked up to the ticket window at the movies the other night, I automatically said, "Two, please." 

And the guy said, "You  mean one adult and one child?"

"Oh ... yeah ... sorry," I said. 

The last time I took Biscuit to the movies, he was 2, almost 3, so it took me a few minutes to remember that it was basically a new experience for him. He went to the movies with his aunt and cousins a couple of weekends ago when we were at my parents' house, but with me, this was only the second time. And I don't think he remembers the first time.

Anyway, Biscuit leaned down and moved his head around, trying to peek into the little window where you trade money for the tickets.

"Excuse me," Biscuit said. "My name is Griffin. What's your name?"

I hope the guy didn't hear him because he just slid the little board back in front of his window without speaking to Biscuit. I would hope someone wouldn't be that rude to a little kid who just wanted to chat.

"Mom, he didn't talk to me," Biscuit said.

"I don't think he saw you," I told him. "Don't worry about it."


Concession stand: I told Biscuit we could get popcorn, so we walked up to the counter to order.

"Whoa!" Biscuit said.

In between where the cash registers are, the counter has glass inserts that they fill with popcorn. When you order a bag, they scoop it out of the those containers. Biscuit watched her fill our bag with wide eyes.

"Ma'am, you sure do have a lot of popcorn in there," Biscuit said.

"If you think THAT's a lot, you should see how much we have in back!" she said. I love it when people play along with him.


Play time: When Biscuit got up the next morning, we had to act out what he saw in the movie.

"Mom, I'm drinking apple juice, but we're going to pretend it's milk, but it's actually going to be that blue liquid that the slow snail drank that made him fast. Okay?"

Sometimes you just smile and nod. "Okay," I told him.

He took a big gulp of his juice, then jumped up from the table and ran down the hall, through the living room, through the dining room, back into the kitchen and back into his seat.

"Mom, I ran so fast that you didn't even see me move, did you?" Biscuit said.

"You moved just then?" I asked.

"Yes!" Biscuit said. "But I was moving so fast that you couldn't even see me go. I am so fast!"

We've been playing different versions of the plot since then. With cars and plastic animals and firefighters and more. I'd say the price of admission was well worth it.

No comments: