Monday, April 29, 2013

All the way from Scotland

One of my friends just returned home from a couple of weeks in Scotland.

I was very jealous of her trip, but I'm so glad she got to go. She went to a lot of trouble to make plans and get everything ready. So I told her to take lots of pictures so I could live vicariously through her.

And she did.

She also brought home presents. And who am I to turn down fun gifts? Especially when said gifts are from my motherland?

We picked her up at the airport Saturday, and as soon as we met her, she handed Biscuit a bag.

"What is it?" he asked.

"It's a gift for you," she said.

He opened the bag and looked inside like something was going to bite him. So I reached in and pulled out a pajama shirt. On the front of it was a British fireman from a cartoon TV show that Biscuit loves. He has a DVD with four episodes, and now he has a pair of pajamas from the land where he lives.

"FIREMAN SAM!!!!" Biscuit yelled, right there in the airport.

When we picked up my friend, it was about 6:30 p.m., which would be 11:30 p.m. in Scotland. I know she was exhausted, but on the drive to her house, she answered questions from Biscuit, Jeff and me.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about her trip, but I figured I'd give her a few days to get settled back in the U.S.

As we were leaving her house, she stuck her hand in her pants pocket and grabbed out a handful of change.

"Give these to Biscuit," she said, handing me the coins. I told her it was too much, but she insisted Biscuit have them.

When we got home that evening, Biscuit said, "Mom, do you have my coins?"

"Yes, they're in my pocket," I said.

"Can you take them out and let's play Scotland store?" he asked.

"Sure," I told him.

Biscuit picked up a toy he wanted to buy and brought it over to me. I don't know what any of the coins are called, so when Biscuit asked, "How much does this cost?" my answer was always, "Um, two of these and one of these," as I grabbed a few coins.

Here's Biscuit in his new pajamas, and below that is his Scotland shopping money.

Being a firefighter is serious business.

And yes, he's packing an ax on his hip.


I don't know which money is which, but at our Scotland store,
a baseball costs two of those big brown ones and a little silver one.

No comments: