Thursday, April 11, 2013

A firefighter walks into a ballgame

Biscuit wore a new shirt this morning. It's a very cool shirt he got for his birthday.



The director and assistant director of Biscuit's day care made a big fuss over him. And so did his teacher. He apparently went around putting out fires all day. And how could he not with all that equipment right at his fingertips?

I picked up Biscuit from day care and told him that we were going to a baseball game. He was really excited and said he thought there was a fire at the ballfield, and we needed to go put it out. So we jumped into our firetruck/car and headed back downtown for the game. Tonight was the first home game for the minor league baseball team in our town. Jeff had to cover it, so Biscuit and I went to hang out, too.

The game was fun, and our team won. Biscuit watched the whole game (and did a lot of dancing to the snippets of songs they played during inning changes. He got to sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." He always loves that. And thanks to his father, after the song was over, he said, "Mom, some of those people said 'Crackerjacks.' There's not an S on the end." And he's right. It was just really funny to me that he heard it and commented on it.

Somewhere along the line, Biscuit has learned some new things to yell at games. The ones I heard tonight were:
  • "Way to go boys."
  • "That's the way to do it."
  • "That's a good hit right there."
  • "Look at him go!"
  • And the grand final was when the team won: "Those are my BOYS, Mom!"
There was a big fireworks show after the game. Biscuit loves fireworks, but not the noise. He puts his hands over his ears, then wants me to put my hands over his hands over his ears.







As Biscuit and I walked to the car, we passed a couple of police cars with their roof lights on. One of the officers walked over thinking I needed something. I said, "I just had to bring him over to look at the cars."

The officer looked at Biscuit, then looked back at me. "The first thing we've got to do is get him a different shirt," the officer said.

"Sorry, but firefighters are his first love," I told him. "The men in blue come in second place."

So the officer went around to the inside of his car and turned on ALL the lights. The whole car looked like one big strobe light. Biscuit thought that was very cool.

We got in our car and sat and waited as the parking lot cleared out.

Biscuit let out a big sigh and said, "Mom, this was a baseball adventure!"

2 comments:

Jenrobburton said...

Teaching the kid that there's no S in Cracker Jack is a sign of good parenting, if you ask me. :o)

Jenrobburton said...

Teaching your child that there's no S in Cracker Jack is a sign of good parenting, if you ask me. :o)